Monday, January 19, 2009

Steven Sigberg

I just watched Schindler's List for the first time tonight. So in honor of a wonderful movie, I would like to point out, once again that

Steven Spielberg is the greatest director of all time.

And let me just make an addendum as to why I think that.

He makes films that become the mother of all films that are in that categorical class of movie. For example, I am willing to say that Schindler's List is the mother of all Holocaust movies. Not to say that all Holocaust films stem from this one, but this is the best Holocaust movie that has been made. Now granted that is arguable. But from what I've seen, this is by far the best one that has been made.

Let's go through his career and see what else he has done.

1. Jaws

Mother of all Shark movies. Considering the competition (Deep Blue Sea, Jaws sequels) this should be a no brainer.

2. Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Ok, not quite the mother of all Sci-Fi films, but you have to admit that this film really goes against the curve of most films, and at the end you know you liked it but you just can't say what about it you liked, which is the beauty of a sci-fi.

3. Indiana Jones Trilogy (4th one too if your not the most picky moviegoer in history)

These movies are just pure fun. They are adventurous and thrilling and at the end you always want more, making them the best adventure films.

4. E.T.

The mother of all family films. I believe this to be the best example of Spielberg's genre defining films. I don't think any other movie can pose a threat to this one, easily the greatest family film of all time.

5. Saving Private Ryan

There are a lot of war films out there. But if you tell me that after the first 15 minutes that you aren't impressed then, I don't really know what I would say back to you. Because I believe it to be the best war sequence out there. And as for best War film ever? I don't know if I can say that I've found it because there are A LOT of war movies out there. But this one definitely gives the others a run for their money.

Another thing I like about Spielberg is his coverage of a subject or genre. He's covered man eating creatures several times (Jaws, Jurassic Park, The Lost World, those ants in Indy 4) He's done POW films (Schindler's List in the west, Empire of the Sun in the East) He's done sci-fi (Close Encounters of the Third Kind, E.T. Minority Report, AI, War of the Worlds)

I just can't get over saying it. I love the work of Steven Spielberg and his work will always impress me

No comments: