Tuesday, June 23, 2009

"Welcome to the party pal!"


It's the summertime, and do you know what that means? It's time for the summer schlock film slate to grace us with their presence. The next "big" film to come is 'Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen' directed by Michael Bay. Ah, Michael Bay, what beautiful work have you churned out for us this time? I have seen the first Transformers and I didn't care for it. I could write a book on why. But I'm interested in what the buzz has been for this film. In my research, this is by far the best quote about the film, if not a quote about any film.

"[it] is the pretentious, nonsensical, sexist, jingoistic, militaristic, CGI-dependent, product-placement-packed, hectically edited, punishingly loud, wearyingly long, eye-wateringly expensive, and, I predict, phenomenally profitable exemplar of everything that is most repulsive about Hollywood today."

-Critic Nicholas Barber

I don't think anyone could have said it better. The funny thing is that this quote can be applied to virtually any Michael Bay film. I think another post is worthy of Michael Bay and his attention to detail (by detail I mean the amount of cleavage Bay can get Megan Fox to reveal without crossing 'R' rated territories.) But all that for another time. All I want to say is this: Everyone's a critic, and there are certain things that movies do that get people excited.

But people are easily impressed, if you have the money. I was talking to a highschooler the other day who was praising 'Night at the Museum 2.' I asked her why it was such a good movie. She sat and pondered, and then said: "The animals and statues came to life!" I said O.K. if that is what impresses you then good for you.

But for me, I can't tell you what makes a good movie good. There is too much to tell, any number of things can make a film good. But I can tell you what I think makes a bad movie bad. The only thing you need to read is the quote above, and I think you will get a glimpse of where I stand.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude, I thought you loved Michael Bay.