Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Star Wars Day 2

Well, we watched Attack of the Clones last night, and as I expected, it was amazing. We had some fresh faces and a full turnout. I am getting bit nervous, since we just watched the two worst films of the saga and we had all the seats taken with 2 couches, 2 chairs and a few on the floor. It looks like we will have to be creative for the next couple of nights

On to the movie.

I was hoping ATOC would blow me away just as TPM had done the night before. And I can say with confidence I was kinda blown away. I think what people hate about ATOC is the first half. It's really slow, there is pretty much no action, at all. I mean, there is a speeder chase but wouldn't it have been cool if there was a huge assault on Padme's apartment and Obi-wan and Anaking had to singelhandedly defend Padme? Oh well I guess I just dream big. The other problem is that the unfortunate main crux of this movie is the love story between Anakin and Padme. Now, we never really get this in Star Wars. In Empire Strikes Back, we have the sub-plot of Han and Leia, but that isn't as huge plot wise for ATOC. So we have to endure the awkward love story of Anakin and Padme. I do like the plot for Obi-Wan as the Jedi detective, which leads to the good part of the movie. Once Mace Windu gets out his lightsaber, we know the film is finally getting good. (And for a woman at the imax theater, she knew it was going to get good) The last half hour of ATOC is probably one of the best of any of the films. It easily has the best land combat scenes out of all the Star Wars. The lightsaber battles are sub-par but is made up with Yoda vs. Dooku. All in all, I enjoyed myself after I endure the first hour or so.

Thankfully, the image last night looked 10 times better than before. The High Definition transfer of ATOC definetly helped out there. I certainly can't wait until the High Def Original Trilogy coming later this week. We all agreed last night that the sound was superb. The best example of this would be the seismic charges in the battle between Obi-wan and Jango Fett.

All in all I had a lot of fun last night. We even had a surprise visit from Jordan Harris who said he wouldn't be here. Props to Paul Dow and Brittany Bolz for being here 2nd night in a row, they could potentially be the most faithful to the week next to us, the creators, Ryan Johns and I, Ryan Graves. Oh and I can't forget Cameron Hodges who once said he'd rather die than come to this but is somehow faithful to that which is Star Wars. Good job Cam!

That's it for today's post. We'll be watching a very good one tonight, Revenge of the Sith. After tonight we'll be halfway done which is pretty surprising. Until then, may the schwartz be with you!

No comments: