Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Star Wars Live Blog

As part of Star Wars week that Ryan Johns and I are putting on, I've decided to post a blog, chronicling the event. Last night, we had our first film starting with the obvious choice, The Phantom Menace. We had a really good turn out too. Props to my brother Alex and John for setting up tiered seating for maximum viewing. We had 2 couches and 2 master chairs filled with people, and we could all see and hear perfectly well. Ryan Johns went above and beyond the snacking call and got bags of healthy chips, goldfish, and the always delicious Otter Pops.

Now on to the Movie.

Unfortunatley I've been having problems with my home theater so we had to watch the movie on my Xbox 360 which does not handle DVD playback very well. But the film sounded amazing. Every thump of a battle droid falling to the ground was very clear and you could feel the hum of the lightsaber in your chest. The visual was unfortunatley sub-par but I have fixed this problem with the addition of a upconverting DVD player to my current set-up so the rest of the week will look as good as it sounded.

When we usually watch TPM, us marathoners usually have a general disgust. We usually engorge ourselves with chocolate milk and donuts and we want to die by the time "Annie" screams Yipee!

But for me, this time was different, much different.

I don't know why but I think for the first time since I saw this movie in theaters, I really enjoyed it through and through. From the opening action sequence to the final parade scene, I was enthralled by the movie. It had plenty of action and the story of Anakin Skywalker was very intriguing. For some reason the Pod-Race scene was very exciting as well. It was probably just watching it on my 47 inch tv. The picture was exciting, and the whole race had me on the edge of my seat. Now don't get me wrong I still hate Jar-Jar Binks and Jake Lloyd, but we do have to admit those characters are vital to the story. (With Anakin its obvious, Without Jar-Jar, how would we get the gungans to create a diversion from the battle of Theed?) Without a doubt, I loved The Phantom Menace last night, and it happens to have one of my favorite action sequences of all time (Darth Maul Vs. Obi-Wan)

So there you have it. Tonight we will be watching Attack of the Clones, a film that I believe has way too much criticism for what it is. We'll see. Until next time. May the forc...sorry I can't be that lame...have a good day

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh ryan i just love you. and star wars.
(i wrote you a comment!)